Kombucha is to tea as yogurt is to milk. It's a cultured beverage made from a living blend of healthy bacteria and beneficial yeast called a "SCOBY" (symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria).
BILLIONS of tiny, powerful probiotics (means "LIFE") live in each bottle of Red Dog Kombucha, ready to move into your digestive tract, help keep your tummy clean and boost your immune system by promoting good GUT health.
Beneficial organic acids in Kombucha: glucuronic, lactic, gluconic, acetic. malic, oxalic, usnic, butyric… read more here
Due to fermentation, kombucha does contain some residual alcohol but never more than 1.15% (like ginger beer) making it "non-alcoholic".
NZ food code regulations state that "non-alcoholic" beverages must contain less than 1.15% alcohol by volume, suitable for all ages.
Traditional Medicine Says:
Kombucha, although acidic (pH 3-4), has an alkaline-forming function inside the body. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Kombucha balances the Middle Qi (spleen and stomach). By aiding the stomach to better digest food and by assisting the spleen to deliver more nutrition, the body heals itself.
Q. How can one beverage cover so many bases ?
A. It's not so much that kombucha does something to our bodies, like a western style medicine targeting specific symptoms - it's more that kombucha PROMOTES health by giving your body what it needs to heal by 1). aiding your liver to remove harmful substances (glucuronic) 2). promoting a balance in your digestive system (lactic) 3). being rich in vitamins, enzymes and especially acids
Kombucha has as much Vitamin C as OJ but only 1/10 the sugar.
- VITAMIN C – A fantastic detoxifier and immunity booster.
- ACETIC ACID – Kills harmful bacteria and gives Kombucha its signature sweet/sour punch.
- LACTIC ACID – Helps prevent constipation, protects the walls of the bowels against decay, believed to aid in the prevention of cancer by regulating blood pH levels.
- GLUCONIC ACID – Effective against many yeast infections.
- AMINO ACIDS – Critical to all life as the building blocks of protein. Half the essential Amino Acids must be obtained on a daily basis from diet.
Kombucha contains more vitamin B1 than milk, according to recent studies.
- Malic acid spurs detoxification.
- Oxalic acid sets your cells to action.
- Usnic acid contains selective antibiotic qualities.
- Nucleic acids (like RNA and DNA) send signals to cells to function properly and rebuild.
- Carbonic acid regulates blood pH levels.
- Folic Acid may help heart disease, aging, Cancer, Crohn’s, Alzheimer’s and Osteoporosis.
- Thiamin (B1) stimulates the immune system, may aid in prevention of skin, joint and bone aging, cancer and stroke among others.
- Riboflavin (B2) suppresses allergies.
- Niacin (B3) promotes healing skin tissue and is a natural aphrodisiac.
- Pyridoxine (B6) helps battle obesity, rheumatism and stroke.
- Cobalamin (B12) improves memory and learning.
- Powerful Enzymes, which push your body’s metabolic functions into overdrive, revving up your engine which means burning more fat and boosting your energy levels.
We thought you might like to know these facts about kombucha so we added this page for reference purposes :-)
NOTE: Kombucha is a functional food product not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease.